Because you’re someone who wants to live a more conscious life, have bigger impact and feel more fulfilled, no matter what your day holds, your morning routine can – and should – set you up for this noble task.
Over the years, I’ve transformed my morning routine from a quick wake-up, shower, out-the-door, coffee-at-the-office regimen to a more conscious tone-setting practice. This serves the rest of my day, helps me get my intentions for the day straight, encourages me to embody them from the moment I woke up, and arms me for a more productive day to come.
Today my morning routine consists of meditation, a little prayer, exercise, and I do it all without the aid of coffee (something I never expected I’d be able to write.)
Here are a few prompts for contemplation to help create a morning routine that supports your efforts to create a great day.
- What will help you come into the new day, and celebrate its arrival? I swing my feet over the edge of my bed and sit in stillness for a few breaths.
- What does your body need? Kicking my coffee habit was a practice in listening to my body. I loved coffee. I didn’t think I could live without it. But I noticed I was getting jittery in the morning so I raised an eyebrow and acknowledged the fact that perhaps I didn’t need it. Give your body what it needs in the morning. A big glass of water, a smoothie, a piece of fruit. I love fruit first thing in the morning. It awakens my taste buds and gets the sleep outta my mouth!
- How can you ask for support in creating a beautiful day? I have started saying a prayer every morning. I have a copy of it by my bed, a copy taped into my journal and a copy tacked over my desk. The key for me is feeling every line. “May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just as you are. Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us.” It’s adapted from a quote by Thérèse de Lisieux. Perhaps you need to ask the universe for support, with a prayer, or maybe you need to ask someone around you. Ask for what you need, and it will be given.
- What are your non-negotiables? I must get outside in the morning. I exercise in the morning. Further to that, it needs to be outside the house. If I’m not outside by late morning, I start to feel a little disoriented. What are your morning musts?
- Can you enjoy the process? Make your routine enjoyable and make the process of finding a routine that really nourishes you enjoyable. Try things, get creative, maybe a headstand in the morning is what really gets you going, invites you to remember to play, and to not take yourself as seriously.
I wish you peace within, today, an awareness of all the opportunities that exist for you, and a contentment with yourself that rests so deep you can feel it in your bones.